Using Fireworks Safely
Even mild fireworks—such as sparklers—can get hot enough to burn through clothing. To prevent burn injuries, exercise extreme caution when lighting and holding fireworks, and monitor your children closely while celebrating. Keep reading for more firework safety tips.
Firework Safety Recommendations
- Read and follow the manufacturer’s safety instructions and warnings.
- Do not try to make your own fireworks; use only those that are commercially manufactured.
- Only light fireworks outside in an open space.
- Obey local ordinances regarding private fireworks usage.
- Have a bucket of water handy in case of emergencies.
- If a firework does not go off, do not try to relight it. Instead, wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Never light a firework in a glass or metal container.
- Do not drink alcohol while lighting fireworks—they can pose burning hazards if you are not careful.
Protecting Your Pets
Like thunderstorms or the vacuum, fireworks may frighten your pets. To protect your pets from becoming stressed as a result of loud noises from fireworks:
Keep pets indoors, away from loud noises and in a place that is comfortable to them.
Allow pets to go to the bathroom before beginning your fireworks show to prevent accidents.
Sparklers are especially fun for children. Once children are old enough, allow them to hold a sparkler under your guidance. Those who are younger than 12 years old should not hold sparklers and should remain as spectators only.