7 Ways to Protect Your Vehicle From Theft
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), vehicle thefts have risen dramatically in recent years. Nearly 100,000 vehicles were reported stolen in 2021—a 6% increase from 2020 and a 17% increase from 2019.
Texas ranked 10th in the country for the highest rate of car thefts in 2021.
For many Americans, vehicles are essential for everyday life and the welfare of their families. A stolen vehicle can create a logistical nightmare and may also cause your insurance rates to rise.
Consider the following tips to protect your vehicle against theft.
- Never leave your vehicle running while it is unattended.
- Roll up your windows, lock your doors and remove keys whenever you are away from your vehicle.
- Don’t leave valuables in your vehicle, especially in plain sight.
- Look for well-lit areas or parking lots when parking.
- Install an anti-theft system in your vehicle if it doesn’t have one.
- Invest in vehicle immobilizer and vehicle tracking systems.
- Park your vehicle inside your garage. Consider installing motion sensor security lights to deter thieves if you cannot park in your garage.
In the unfortunate event that your vehicle is stolen, contact the police and your insurance company immediately.