Celebrate Cybersecurity Awareness Month With These Safety Tips
Since 2004, the United States has recognized October as Cybersecurity Awareness Month. This initiative focuses on educating the general public about cybersecurity best practices to minimize the risk of data breaches and other cyber incidents.
Phishing scams, malware infections and other schemes and attacks perpetrated by cybercriminals may have lasting effects on your finances and peace of mind. Consider the following steps to bolster and maintain your cybersecurity:
- Choose strong passwords that include a combination of special characters, uppercase and lowercase letters, and numbers. Avoid using the same password for multiple accounts.
- Set up multifactor authentication to ensure that even if a cybercriminal learns your password, they will need additional information to access your accounts.
- Back up your data regularly, such as on a cloud service or external storage devices (e.g., flash drives, external hard drives, etc.).
- Avoid leaving electronic devices, such as smartphones and laptops, unattended.
- Do not give out sensitive or personal information online or over the phone.
- Educate yourself on identifying online scams, such as by scrutinizing potential phishing messages and avoiding clicking on links or attachments offering rewards.
- Change your Wi-Fi router’s password from its default factory setting and monitor your network regularly for unfamiliar devices.
- Invest in personal cyber liability insurance in case you are a victim of a cyber attack in the future.
If you are interested in learning more about personal cyber liability insurance, contact us today or start a FREE quote online now.