Trailer Safety Week
Its Trailer Safety Week!
Towing can be a convenient way to transport a variety of items, from boats to RVs to construction equipment. However, towing involves the interaction of several components, including the driver, tow vehicle and trailer, each affecting the combination’s safety.
With that in mind, here are some tips to help make your towing adventures go more smoothly and safely:
- Check your trailer tires’ pressure and inspect them for dry rot and cracking.
- Keep your tow vehicle’s maintenance up to date.
- Make sure the ball on your tow hitch matches the coupler on your trailer.
- Always cross the trailer’s safety chains.
- Make sure you have at least one spare trailer tire.
- Ensure the trailer’s electrical wiring system is properly connected to the tow vehicle.
- When unhooking, place wheel chocks in front of and behind the trailer’s tires.